The cold dry weather can certainly have its impact on everyone’s skin. Those who have psoriasis need to be vigilant about moisturizing their skin on a regular basis.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Use tepid rather than hot water when showering or bathing.
- When finished bathing, gently pat the skin dry leaving some residual moisture. Apply your moisturizer to the slightly dampened skin as this will enhance its benefit.
- When participating in vigorous activity that may cause sweating, whether in a gym or outside, be sure to wear breathable clothing to avoid skin irritation.
- Shaving the skin with a multi-blade razor or using products which cause hair removal can both lead to irritation of sensitive skin. An electric razor may offer the gentlest approach.
- When heading to the south for a winter holiday, remember that although the sun can provide benefit to the skin, a burn can cause a flare of psoriasis, so sun protection is a must. Moisturize your lips and skin and don’t forget to protect your eyes with sunglasses.
Carolyn Whiskin is the Pharmacy Manager for Charlton Health. Carolyn specializes in the treatment of autoimmune diseases,pharmaceutical compounding, women’s health, pain and smoking cessation. Carolyn has won provincial and national awards for her commitment to patient care and public service.
Carolyn, along with other health professionals, is a contributor to Psoriasis Busters, which has features lots of great tips for dealing with psoriasis.